FCC Interview Series: Miss Alyssa's Daycare





  Earlier this week, I discussed some of the stereotypes and attitudes surrounding family child care. As a follow-up to Family Child Care - I'm not a babysitter. I am conducting a series of interviews with family child care providers across the state of Massachusetts.

  The purpose of these interviews is to spread the word about the professionals that work in this field. A commonly heard stereotype is that FCC's just play all day, are babysitters, or are unable to provide a proper pre-school education. While there are people who fall into that category, what I have experienced while talking to other providers is vastly different. FCC's provide stimulating age appropriate activities, structured and safe environments, and learning through play. 

  Today's interview is with Alyssa, who provides care in Rockland. Thank you for your time, Alyssa!



What is your name, where are you located, and does your business have a name?
Alyssa Brady
Location: Rockland 
Buisness Name: Miss Alyssa's Daycare

How long have you been in business? What is your work background?
3yrs this November 
I have my B.S. in Childhood Studies, nannied for four years, substitute taught for four years and have worked at two daycare centers.



What age groups do you provide for and what are your hours?
Ages 6weeks-5yrs and I am open from 7:00am-5:00pm (M-F)

What is the price range for your services and do you accept vouchers?
Full time rates are; $250/wk for under 2 & $225/wk for over 2.


What type of schooling/ training have you done related to child care and education?
I have my B.S. In Childhood Studies as well as attend 10+hrs of training each year. I also have a child myself, who is 3yrs old.

What is the best part of your job?
Watching something "click" for a child. Whether it's a developmental milestone for younger children or the preschool age children finally learning their name, a letter sound, sight word, etc. I love that magic moment!!


What types of activities does your program provide?
I create my own curriculum based off the children's interests as well as our theme that month/period in time. We do sensory, fine/motor activities & play,  we work on infant milestones (crawling, pincer grasp, sign language, eye contact, etc.) as well as toddler and preschool milestones (shape/color/letter recognition, hold a fork and spoon, sight words, imaginative play, etc.) and much more!


What should people know about your program?
I am more than a babysitter; I am a teacher, a protector, a counselor, a friend, a mother-figure... & more.

What is the best way to contact you, should a family be interested in more information or setting up a tour?
Alyssa Brady

Comments